… people known to be interested in running for the congressional seat currently held by Mel Watt. The list, per the Associated Press and Winston-Salem Journal:
• Rep. Alma Adams of Greensboro
• George Battle, the attorney for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools
• Rep. Marcus Brandon of High Point
• Harold Cogdell, a former Mecklenburg County commissioner
• Sen. Malcolm Graham of Charlotte
• Rep. Ed Hanes of Winston-Salem
• Torre Jessup of Huntersville, a Watt staff member
• James “Smuggie” Mitchell, a former member of the Charlotte City Council
• Rep. Rodney Moore of Charlotte
• Curtis Osborne, a Charlotte lawyer
• Avery Staley of Charlotte.
Also, we can expect a special election for the seat, making it safer for members of the General Assembly to run.
A prediction? Sure. A runoff. And whoever raises the most money will have an advantage, as name recognition will be an issue.